Saturday, February 6, 2010

I took the one less traveled by,


To know me, is to know my favorite poet of all time, Robert Frost! I was introduced to Frost in the 8th grade by my English teach Mr. Cunningham (who is also the teacher that inspired me the most! I wish I could tell him that). My favorite poem by Robert Frost is The Road Not Taken written in 1916:

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I mention this in a blog about my journey for several reasons. Deciding to do an Ironman was a choice; a difficult choice. A choice to take the road less traveled. However, the decision to toe the starting line was not where those choices ended. Everyday I am making choices with the Ironman in mind. I watch what I eat. I make sure I am training sufficiently and I am picking routes to run.

Picking routes to run. See, I have to do a 10 mile run tonight. One positive about working patrol in the same area I live is that I can map out my run in my patrol vehicle while still maintaining my role as an officer. As you exit my apartment complex, obviously you can go right or left. What’s interesting is how the routes vary dramatically to left or to the right.

If I go left: some hills, mostly flat, not a bad run, and very popular in the community as it’s heavily traveled with runners and cyclists. If I go right: a HUGE hill! This hill is followed by more hills. The hill eventually leads downhill but then goes up hill again. In fact, the finish would be an up hill finish! Of course going to the left would be a downhill finish. Dare I say, this road is less traveled (I couldn’t resist).

“And be one traveler, long I stood…” trying to decide what route I was in the mood to run after work. Which run can I finish faster so I can party tonight?! Which run isn’t going to hurt as badly? Then I asked which run is going to benefit me the most? Which run is going to prepare me to meet my goal? My goal? Ooooh my goal means more to me than completing the Ironman. My goal: quiet those damn demons.

I had to make a choice. I have to continually take the road less traveled. Except, unlike the poem, I cannot wonder where the other road would have taken me. The run is not going to be pretty. Why? I am weaning myself off of Galloway Running. I know I am a better runner than the Galloway running! I am now running without walks. I have run 10 miles without a walk before. YEARS ago! Ok 2 years ago lol. I don’t want to walk! I want to push past these mental barriers that keep me in the back of the pack. That is why I am making the decision to run the harder route. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”

On this run I will tell myself:
“When I feel pain, it is my body turning into Iron!”


No comments:

Post a Comment