Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. concrete to iron concretetoiron
Praise God for putting it in my heart to do an Ironman! Since this has been placed in my heart, doors have opened with zero effort from me! This journey has helped mold my faith in Christ! When the decision was made to complete an Ironman, I had no idea how I was going to pay the $525 entry fee. I had no clue about training for an Ironman or Half Ironman. I began to worry...as I did two of my favorite bible verses would play in my head:

Jesus said, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" -Matthew 6:25-27 NIV

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” -Hebrews 12:1

These verses tell me not to worry because there is nothing I can do! It is ALL in God’s hands! Second, this Ironman is something I feel God truly wants me to do! Not only to raise money for the orphanage, but to inspire others to walk with Christ. This is my race that has been marked out.

The Blessing
I’m in law enforcement and often times we work side jobs off duty to earn extra cash. About two weeks ago, I worked a traffic job for a construction company. This was the easiest job ever! The foreman said he may need me to return in a couple of weeks. I didn’t think anything of it. The job I just worked for him would cover some of the entry fee but not much.

Last week, I received an unexpected phone call! It’s the foreman calling me back for an all day job! WOOHOOO just what I needed to cover the rest of my entry fee! The best part is this job is easy! I just sat here, caught up on the blog, read some other blogs about Ironman, and finished reading one of my triathlon books!

Did I mention registration for Ironman Cozumel opens in 5 days! I made enough money to enter this event just 5 days before registration opens! Thank you Father! This event is sure to sell out the same day it opens. I wouldn’t doubt

I know that everything that happens is a God thing. It’s just really nice when I get that “Aha! This is a God thing!” moment. This was definitely one of them!

Wanna see me cry?
Let me read a story about an Ironman! I came across this blog (yes I began to tear reading it). It was a lady who was completing her first Half Ironman. Notice I said completing not competing. Like me, she was not in it to win, but to complete! She wrote something in her blog that I wanted to post here.

“I would rather be the slowest person in a race than to quit out of fear or shame of being too slow.”

Although God placed this in my heart, I am human. I have goals. And, unfortunately, I have an ego. I become a little concerned and even discouraged when I think about my times! Truth is… I’m not that great a swimmer! Lol! I’m not even a good swimmer! I’m ok on the bike, and I’m a relatively slow runner! I do have one thing in common with every athlete that has toed the starting line of an Ironman, Half Ironman, or any other endurance event: confidence. My faith in Christ gives me my confidence, my dedication to continue this journey, and the resources I will need to complete.

I was inspired by this woman’s will to complete this event regardless of what the clock said at the end! At the end of the day she can say, "I have completed an Ironman 70.3!" Congrats to here! Her blog lists a very detailed race report. I encourage you to read it.

Time check: Almost 3:30 pm – 2 more hours to go! I have been up since 4am today! Praise God! The day is flying and it’s been an easy job!

p.s. that’s my pic of the cross :) I am also a photographer!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/racingagainstthepainoffibromyalgia/race-report-i-am-offiically-a-halfironman-finisher

No comments:

Post a Comment