Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My sights are set on Ironman Cozumel



I am finally released to start limited training again following my surgery. I am limited to just swimming and cycling for now both without restriction. Next week, I will start introducing running into the trinity.

For the past few months, for me, training has been on completing the half Iron distance. The overall goal for the year, of course, is Ironman Cozumel. Yet it was never in my sights because I was so focused on completing the half distance and that was a key race for me. Now that it is over, my focus is on the Ironman. I can’t believe I am saying that my next key race is the Ironman. I am training for the Ironman! It is a dream to even be able to say that.

I know I have other races but for me I consider them training days with transitions. Even Ironman Augusta 70.3 is just a long training day. I am going to take what I learned in New Orleans and apply it to my training. I am looking forward to the longer swims and cycling. The running is probably my least favorite. That’s probably a sign I need to do more of it.

I have started incorporating more weight training into my training. One because I need to, two because it cant hurt, three because I promised myself I would be in the best physical shape of my life when I hit Cozumel. Since I started my weight loss journey three years ago, it has always been a dream (or goal) to be 10% body fat. I’m currently 15% which is a far cry from my 22-23% days that isn’t so long ago. That equates to 9lbs of fat I would have to loose in the next seven months. I am also placing focus on strengthening my core. When I was at the Expo, I saw a lot of people who were, at least, physically committed to this sport. These guys were super lean like 8% bf. Oh and they were fast! I know because they kept passing me!

I’m just ready! Ready to prepare my body for what I know it’s capable of. What I learned from NO was that the mental game starts long before you enter the water. It’s everyday in training. The days you want to shorten your workout. The days you would rather not. I’m game on and looking forward to continuing to change my mind and my body. I said beast mode when I got back! Well I’m back and its beast mode! Game is ON!

As for the demons, they haven’t had much to say since New Orleans. I know they are just keeping quiet…for now.

1 comment:

  1. Beast mode for IM Cozumel NICE!! You nailed it on the head when you commented about this being more of a mental game than anything. Most people who show up to IM and 70.3's are physically prepared, where they lack is in their nutrition plan and in their mental preparedness - which is why I love IM - you cannot judge any athlete by their physicality alone.

    ReplyDelete