Monday, November 9, 2009

I didnt mean to swim that far

My goal today was to just swim a mile and then something happened. It was almost as if I blacked out. I started hearing the voice in my head challenging me to push myself; to not stop swimming until I swam for 1hr 20mins. The goal I set for Ironman was to be able to swim Ironman 2.4miles in an hour and 20mins. So I swam, and I swam, and I swam. Pause there.

When I found out there was an Ironman in Cozumel I knew it was a calling! My church, Providence Road Church of Christ, has a mission in Cozumel, Mx. They regularly take trips to help with an orphanage there. I felt like this all happened for a reason. I kept saying I wanted this Ironman to be for God because without him I wouldn’t be here. I would be fired from the police dept, still drinking every day, and certainly not being the father I should be. Because of God’s mercy, I am the total opposite. So, my goal is to raise money for the orphanage in Cozumel. I’m not sure what that looks like yet, but I have to do something!

And I swam, and I swam. I began to think, Christ never gave up on me so I can’t give up on these children. I kept seeing flashes of their smiling faces that I saw in a pamphlet. So, I swam for one hour and 20 minutes. My last 100 yards, I timed. I took the time from that to get an estimate of how far I swam. The estimate was 2.2miles. Is it possible for me to drop 10 minutes off of that time ad add 0.2 miles?

It’s hard to believe I took my first swim lesson only 3 months ago! I also can’t believe that I was a smoker for more than half my life! I have only stopped smoking 4 years ago (I stopped the day my son was born) You Can!

No comments:

Post a Comment